I’ve mentioned how I’ve been working at a doggy daycare. The place I work at is a bit understaffed. We have enough people to do our jobs but if someone needs to leave the play area, the front of house person has to cover for us.
In the pen we’ve got collars, slip leads, poop bags, paper towels, and hand sanitizer along with the mop buckets, water bowls, and trash cans. We don’t have toys or treats to prevent resource guarding or potential aggression.
These are the basics but I need a bit more to get through my day.
I have a little pouch of items I keep with me to minimize my need to leave the pen.
- Tissues: For when my nose gets runny or cleaning the occasional bulldog face fold.
- Eye drops: I have major dry eyes so I always keep some drops handy
- Ear plugs: Our daycare is in a warehouse so when you get ~80 dogs playing and having feelings, it can get LOUD. These have made my job so much easier.
- Lip balm: I bite my lips. This helps stop that.
- Sleeve holders: We’re discouraged from ‘customizing’ our uniform tees so I use these to roll up my sleeves on warm days.
- Energy gummies: If it’s been a rough day, I’ll have one of these toward the end of my day. Whether these actually work or it’s a placebo effect, I still like them for $3 a pack.
- Gum: Another way to perk me up. Since a big chunk of taste is smell, I move the gum under my tongue for the gross necessities of my job.
- Protein bar: We are allowed food but I’ll still only eat a small bit of this at a time if I need it. My little bag is plastic lined so it helps trap the smell.
I always have a water bottle and am trying to wean myself off cherry Pepsi. Some dogs look at me like “Share?” when I open my soda. I also have my phone so I can use the timer and take photos. When things are slow, I have some fun with their ears.