Since I’m casually doing 4 other challenges this year, I thought I’d check in at the end of January. How am I doing so far?
Pop Sugar Reading Challenge
- 2016 Bestseller – The Nest (Advanced section)
- A title that’s a character’s name – The Day of the Donald
- Red spine – Stranger Here
- Mythical creature – Cautionary Fables and Fairytales
A nice start to a long list. I don’t know why but The Nest had been speaking to me. It had a great deal of hype and took a while to pick up but I really enjoyed it. I didn’t click that Stranger Here had a red spine until I was skimming my casual challenges to see if it fit for any. The same with Cautionary, I thought about it for a second and realized a singing harp and lake monster are pretty mythical.
Book Riot Read Harder Challenge
- Debut Novel – The Nest
- Within 100 miles of my location – The Day of the Donald
The hometown/proximity shows up quite a bit but I don’t read a lot of books about my area. It was nice to finally be able to check that one off, even if it was spectacularly ridiculous.
52 Books in a Year
- A book with at least 2 perspectives – The Nest
- A category from another challenge – The Day of the Donald
- A book by an author you’ve never read before – Stranger Here
- A collection – Cautionary Fables and Fairytales
My January book about Jen Larsen’s journey with weight loss surgery was the first thing I’ve ever read by her. I have accomplished less than she had but never hated myself quite as much as she did.
So far, no dice on this one. Reading this diversely isn’t easy.
I think after this month I’m going to aim for a bi-monthly update unless I have an extremely productive month. It would be nice to make some headway on Diversity bingo.