My debit card has been hacked around once a year for the last few years. My bank catches and denies it almost every time. I had to request my money back once. My card was always in my possession each time. Because of this, I’ve removed and stopped syncing my debit card on websites I frequently shop.
This is the first time it’s been my credit card. I’m hoping to use this as a teachable moment for myself so that I have to sync my debit card and can only buy what I can afford. Right now, I can’t afford anything but that will change as the week goes on. I need to figure out who won’t be getting my money for the rest of September. Possibly the rest of 2016.
- ModCloth: I need more money in the bank, less in debt, and my store credit to be applied.
- torrid: I’m mad at their lack of customer service so we’re on a break.
- Hot Topic: I’ve had about $90 on a gift card I’ve been trying to spend for 4 months. No dice.
- eshakti: The last couple of things I got didn’t fit so we’re on a break.
- Kickstarter: So. Many. Email. Updates. I want my inbox back!
- Makeup: It’s still too warm and humid for me to bother with much so no compulsion to spend.
- B&N: I’ve killed my last birthday gift card.
- Etsy: I’m too broke for the good stuff.
- Society6: I’m all set on stationary from now until the end of the year.
- Redbubble: I don’t need any more tees at the moment.
- We Love Fine, Think Geek, and Her Universe: Short of ordering my mom a Star Trek gnome for Christmas, I’m good on their gear.
There are still some places that will need my new information.
- Amazon: I’ve got around $31.50 in store credit and almost at $5 more but I still need an active card if I want to order something.
- ColourPop: Yes, I said I don’t want to order cosmetics but I want a bronze metallic lip for a costume, they sent me a coupon, and their lipsticks are $6.
- iTunes & Bandcamp: I want to get some fun creepy music for Halloween.
- PayPal: It’s such a widely used system that I’ll have to use it at some point.
I probably should sync my apple account to my debit card to discourage impulse music binges. But with my debit card changing so frequently, it was always a major pain in my hindquarters to stay on top of it.
I also plan on participating in the reddit Halloween and Christmas gift exchanges. I plan on sticking to a reasonable budget ($30) and trying to use what I’ve already got available to me to save money but you never know who you’re going to get.